Title: April Evil
Author: John D. MacDonald
Cover artist: Bill Johnson
Estimated value: $10-$15
Best things about this cover:
- The hot new book that finally answers the question: How many trenchcoated, fedoraed detectives does it take to find a lost contact lens?
- You know what they say: April Evil brings May Bondage.
- After looking at this picture, I wonder if it's not the "hold-up gang" that's "sleepy."
- This is a fine, if weird, painting. Good use of small canvas. Her simple white top and blue skirt, surrounded by the lurking, drab frames of generic menace, make her really pop off the page.
Best things about this back cover:
- Don't you hate it when women choose the easy sluttish rut? Challenge yourselves, ladies!
- How can you be "going to flab" while "losing something in the guts department"? Writing 101: don't let your stupid metaphors cancel each other out.
She smiled, and she felt cat-agile, rabbit-soft, mare-ready.
This was a vast improvement from a half hour earlier, when she had felt dog-tired, armadillo-hard, and lemur-unprepared.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]