Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Paperback 823: Last of the Breed / Les Savage, Jr. (Dell First Edition 37)

Paperback 823: Dell First Edition 37 (PBO, 1954)

Title: Last of the Breed
Author: Les Savage, Jr.
Cover artist: Stanley Borack

Yours for: $12

DellFE37

Best things about this cover:

  • "I told you I didn't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no calves! I told you!"
  • Mysterious stranger just wants to borrow a bucket.
  • Wardrobe malfunction in 5, 4, 3 ...
  • We get it, Stan Borack—you are good at drawing hands. Stop showing off.
  • "I don't know, Les, I think this tale might be a bit too savage. Do you think you could make it …?"


DellFE37bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Looks like this book was in Brian Sheridan's back pocket when he got into whatever he got into on the front cover. Books with war wounds!
  • He came alive as a man. It was a good feeling. If this isn't a tale of sexual awakening, I'm gonna be very disappointed.
  • What is up with the design on this cover? "The blue arrow going round and round symbolizes life's twists and turns, while the sloppy gray daubs that frame the arrow symbolize the artist's not giving a shit."

Page 123~

Jess Miller was helping a pair of bonneted women near the rear.

Because bonnets make it practically impossible to see back there.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

5 comments:

Jean said...

That's got to be more Fear Hands than have ever before been assembled on one book cover.

capewood said...

Is hacking out a western empire anything like hacking out an enormous hair ball?

Zeke said...

"..someone had decided the new Sheridan would also be the last.". I get the front cover now, the mystery shadow man is a traveling urologist, performing vascectomies on the unsuspecting. I'd have double fear hands myself.

DemetriosX said...

Great fear hands, here. I actually rather like the cover. The threatening shadow is particularly well done.

But what I want to know is why, if he has access to a time machine, is George Clooney using it to go back and pose for cover artists? 'Cause that's definitely him.

Karl said...

George Clooney? I'd vote for noir tough-guy actor Charles McGraw myself (and no time travel required in that case).