Editor: Judith Merril
Introduction: Fredric Brown
Cover artist: Rafael DeSoto [R. DeSaint??] [signature in bottom right corner, hard to make out—I read it as "R. DeSoto" because Rafael DeSoto is a famous cover artist. The Internet Speculative Fiction Database has "R. DeSaint," but I can't find any other mention of such a person on the Internet, so …?]
Yours for: $18
Best things about this cover:
- And that's when the 2213 Miss Glotron-X swimsuit competition got a little weird …
- "Um … sir? … your mankini top … it's just … if you could … maybe pull it … a little …"
- "This device allows me to speak to my own jugular veins directly!"
- "'Human?' The game show where you … decide what the answer to that question is. Are you ready, Bill? Let's bring out our first set of subjects!"
- Bill does not look confident. Or else that's just his "ill-fitting mankini-bottom" face.
- I'm all for body modification, but I think I draw the line at chicken-fishing.
Best things about this back cover:
- don marquis is the e. e. cummings of paperback scifi anthologies.
- Some heavy hitters in there. Also, Graham Doar. "My friends call me 'Trap'!" Sure they do, Graham.
- Just how many anthologists are there, Boucher? That's about as ringing an endorsement as "Sammy Hagar is among the very best Van Halen frontmen."
Immediately the room seemed to shake itself; things wavered uncomfortably; then I realized Drip was astigmatic.~RP
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]