Title: The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner
Author: Alan Sillitoe
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: [Not Applicable]
Best things about this cover:
- The title font. The title font, I like.
- Did you have to capture the dreariness of life in a mill town so … precisely? "Shopkeep, your sootiest looking book, please."
- The only reason I own this book is because my wife stole it from the bathroom of Collegetown Bagels in Ithaca. I mean … "found it in." Definitely not "stole it from."
Best things about this back cover:
- "How to convey the dreariness of life in a mill town on the *back* cover … think, think … I know!" [Explains this back cover concept in detail]
- "And beat it they do"! Promising.
- I love how completely detached and elitist the Saturday Review review is. "Oh, the grubby lower classes … delightful!"
- No cover artist credit, but at least we know where it was printed! USA! Thanks, Signet!
Page 123~ (from "The Disgrace of Jim Scarfedale")
I wanted to sit in my overalls listening to the wireless and reading the paper in peace.
I feel you, buddy.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]