Thursday, August 21, 2014

Paperback 805: Nina / Brian Black (Beacon B745X)

Paperback 805: Beacon B745X (PBO, 1964)

Title: Nina
Author: Brian Black
Cover artist: Uncredited [Barton?—see reversed signature, under couch]

Yours for: $20

BeacB745X

Best things about this cover:

  • I wish that, many years ago, I had created a "Women Spilling Backwards Off of Beds and Couches" tag. It's a thing.
  • Looks like "twisted pleasures" is a literal statement. "I'm sorry, Burt, but I can't get in the mood unless I'm doing [gets on couch and adjusts herself] … [grunt, awkward dress tugging] … this!"
  • I like how this cover is a panel from a Power Point presentation. Bullet list!
  • Wow, high heels have done terrible and unnatural things to her feet.
  • When were biceps bracelets trendy?
  • I like that couch quite a bit.


BeacB745Xbc

Best things about this back cover:

  • What is *proper* love with strangers? Does it involve handshakes and handwritten thank-you notes?
  • "Candid"!? What happened to "frank"!? I miss "frank."
  • Unfair to Jet Set! I'm so glad that we as a culture have evolved out of the terrible Jet-Settism that plagued our forefathers.


Page 123~

Nina found only one fault with the rodeo. It happened only once a year.

I knew it. I took one look at that cover and thought, "this is gonna be about the rodeo."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that you bring these tidbits of humanity to us, bringing our dark secrets out into the open. By doing so you let, at least some of us, see ourselves in the greater humanity, and we feel less alone.

As an example, I thought I was alone among men who, when approached by beautiful women offering sex, wild, unashamed, adventurous sex with no strings attached, always declined out of a sense of propriety. It would be just wrong, no? But when the woman were monied, well that was a different thing. Of course I would do any and everything with them. It would be improper not to do so, no?