Title: The Grass Is Singing
Author: Doris Lessing
Cover artist: Fletcher Martin
Yours for: $15
Best things about this cover:
- OK, there are several remarkable things about this cover, but I'm somehow most struck by the "Painted by" credit! Attribution! Credit! So useful! Why aren't all paperback covers like this!?
- If you want an iconic picture for "The White Gaze," Here You Go!
- Doris Lessing won the Nobel Prize in Literature, so I assume the writing quality here is a grade or two above "Mandingo."
Best things about this back cover:
- "Mounting tensions" WINK WINK
- "The one sin no white woman in Africa dares" … based on the cover, I'm betting on "Sloth."
- Technically "Brave New World" had already come, twenty years earlier. Still, I love how excited this book is.
Then followed a time of dull misery: not the sharp bouts of unhappiness that were what had attacked her earlier. Now she felt as if she were going soft inside at the core, as if a soft rottenness was attacking her bones.
The horrible days before Boniva.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]