Title: The Big Brokers
Author: Irving Shulman
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $10
Best things about this cover:
- Poster hanging outside the world's toughest barber shop.
- "We can do five haircuts. That's all. Five: The Wedge, The Mob Boss, The Moll, The James Dean's Dad, and the Sandy Duncan. You want anything else, keep walkin'."
- Honestly, though, this is how all pulp characters look in my mind. Exactly.
Best things about this back cover:
- Joyce has clearly seen every variety of dipshit male-kind has to offer.
- "Finally goes berserk" — oh, Bull, I'm sorry I laughed so hard at this. Please forgive me.
- Itzik has no front. Only a back. It's pretty gruesome.
Alex worked his way back toward Brighton and he stepped along briskly, without a worry in the world, picking up his bets: twos and threes and fives and tens, twenties, and even a fifty-dollar one from a player who was running in luck so that Alex wondered if he hadn't a secret source of dirt available to him, and while Alex walked, whistling and snapping his fingers when he wasn't destroying betting slips, his senses were alerted for shadows and cops.
Honestly, the sentence just before this one was even longer.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]