Title: Strive and Succeed
Author: Horatio Alger
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- Strive and succeed at beating the shit out of other boys.
- "Yeah, I took your tie. Whaddya gonna do about it, punk?!"
- This must be the part where the boy grabs his bootstraps and pulls himself up. Otherwise, it just looks like some rich, entitled fuck is picky on the poor drunk kid.
Best things about this back cover:
- That name again: HORATIO ALGER!
- Aw, man, for a split-second I read that as "stories … of hard-on success," and I was intrigued.
- I once read a book about a "supposedly worthless mine." It was called "The Luminaries." I wish I had read this one instead, for many reasons, not least of which is its reasonable 184-page length.
The two boys started for the school, and arrived nearly half an hour early. They entered the house, and, by means of a stout cord, soon secured the hen to the "master's" chair.
It's a heart-warming tale of honesty, thrift, perseverance and poultry pranks.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]