Title: Satan's Child
Author: Peter Saxon
Cover artist: Jeff Jones (Jeffrey Catherine Jones)
Yours for: $15
Best things about this cover:
- Can't a girl rub her naked bottom on dandelions in peace around here!
- No need for pepper spray or a handgun when you've got Smoke-jaguar.
- Is that behelmeted guy out walking his Smoke-jaguar or shape-shifting into a Smoke-jaguar?
- It's like Rosemary's Baby. Only with more orange. And a Smoke-jaguar.
- One of my all-time favorite fantasy paperback covers, despite/because of its looniness. Love the orange, love the enigmatic man/jaguar/smoke hybrid, love the not-all-that-worried sunbather.
- Only just learned that Jeff Jones was (later in life) Jeffrey Catherine Jones (a trans woman). Fascinating story. She died in 2011. Comics Journal obit here.
Best things about this back cover:
- That is a pretty great use of empty space—like a womb holding the embryonic "Seedling From Hell."
- Ooh, terrible vengeance! That's my favorite kind!
- You're gonna have a hard time finding a greater name in all of literature than "Pricker Gill.
"All of it!" Finlay cried hoarsely. "I wager it all."
Silently his companions met his wager—and threw down their hands. They were identical—and identical to his own.
Finlay's mouth dried and he gave a little groan of despair. "I … I thought I must win."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]