Title: Your Own Party Book
Author: Gertrude Crampton
Cover artist: Abbi Damerow (illus.)
Yours for: $10
Best things about this cover:
- That. Record. Player.
- Pink! Honestly, this is a super-delightful cover. Makes the '40s seem like fun. Super-white, but still fun.
- And nothing says "fun" like "Gertrude Crampton."
- P.S. "Gay"
Best things about this back cover:
- Everyone's so skinny and happy and gay! Look at the adorable short pants and pigtails. Weenie roast! Let's all go back! Civil rights, shmivil rights, the '40s were fun!
- Holy crap, did phones still look like that in '49?! Is your date gonna pick you up in his surrey?
- Jane's glue-sniffing addiction got totally out-of-control at the Valentine's Day dance…
[A recipe for "English Monkey"] [Yes, seriously]
2 cups stale bread crumbs
2 cups milk
2 cups cheese in small pieces
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
A little pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon thin bottled meat sauce
"Sprinkle with paprika to look stylish."
Note that they didn't have *kinds* of cheese in the '40s. Just "cheese." Also, I am unaccountably imagining a teamster grabbing his crotch and going "I got yer thin bottled meat sauce right here!"
I will straight-up *give* this book to someone if he/she promises to a. throw a party directly out of this book, and b. provide multiple photos.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]