Author: Hal Ellson
Cover artist: Rudolph Belarski
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- Her "whatever" face is the best.
- Black Joan Crawford could take you or leave you.
- Shoes! Why does everyone on old paperbacks look so damn cool. Even goofy people look cool. Even Flat-butt No Face here has a certain simple, shabby style I admire.
- Juvenile delinquency! Dope! Smoking (literally) hot girls who could give a damn! This book has it all.
- The one word I think of when I see Belarski's artwork: creamy.
Best things about this back cover:
- Love the advisory at the end there! "If you barf easy, or don't, like, care about important stuff, then fuck off already." This book has the same attitude as the lady on the cover.
- Marijuana. I like when books name their drugs. Even though this is a 5th printing, the great condition, the JD (juvenile delinquency) theme, and the drug references make it super-sweet / collectible.
- "Cash before pleasure"? Come on, you gotta up your slang game if you're gonna run the streets. "Money before honeys"? "Dough before ho"? "Cheddar before girls in tight sweaters"? Something.
"You got any sticks on you?" Chink said.
"Yeah, I got some. You want one."
"I could use it."
I gave Chink one. I passed some around to the others. I lit one for myself. I needed that. We all got to be feeling gay then.
Aw, yeah … [cue sexy music] …
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]