Title: Bats Fly at Dusk
Author: A.A. Fair (aka Erle Stanley Gardner)
Cover artist: Ron Lesser
Yours for: $7
Best things about this cover:
- Just woke up, or the latest style? Who can say?
- Bats Fly at Dusk ... Ladies Strip at Dawn.
- This cover has neither enough skin nor enough context to be interesting.
- I know this will sound heretical, but I think the dress would be sexier *on* her.
- This book is close to immaculate. I just found a box full of (primarily) Gardner/Fair stuff. A reader graciously shipped it to me a while back, and I looked at its treasure, then set it aside, and forgot about it. So it's vintage paperback Christmas all over again.
Best things about this back cover:
- Is she standing in front of the silhouette of ... a badge? A vase? A strawberry?
- I like how he's not sure about the age, but he's got the pounds down to a very precise number.
- Every time I pick up a Cool/Lam book, I say to myself, "Man, I really gotta read some of these again." And then other books intervene.
"I told Miss Jackson that if she wanted to stay on in the place alone the raise in rent wouldn't be effective. Miss Jackson really seems like a nice sort, exactly the type I like for tenants."
I'm a little worried for Miss Jackson.