Author: Uncredited [Don Ward] ("from the famous play by Patrick Hamilton")
Cover artist: Gerald Gregg
Yours for: $25
Best things about this cover:
- Hello, handsome.
- Fantastic early movie tie-in. Weird that there is No Writing Credit, anywhere. I do not think that Alfred Hitchcock "wrote" this, in any meaningful sense of that word. I thought "novelizations" got credit. But maybe not in this era (?).
- Gerald Gregg's cityscape is an understated but gorgeous detail.
Best things about this back cover:
- Hell yeah, mapback! 3D mapback!
- I've seen more interesting mapbacks, but I do like how much detail you can see in this house. The arc of the coffee table, the tile pattern in the bathroom.
- That keyhole eyeball really is one of the great icons in paperback history. Up there with the damned kangaroo.
Something seemed to be slowly tearing in Phillip's mind, destroying the fabric of his slim residue of control.
Wow. "The fabric of his slim residue of control" has all the elegance of a rusted-out Ford Fiesta.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]