Sunday, July 14, 2013

Paperback 672: The Jugger / Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake) (Pocket Books 50149)

Paperback 672: Pocket Books 50149 (PBO, 1965)

Title: The Jugger
Author: Richard Stark (Donald Westlake)
Cover artist: Harry Bennett

Yours for: Not For Sale (part of the "Parker PBO" collection)

PB50149

Best things about this cover:
  • A bizarre constellation of color. Bit too much white space, but I kind of enjoy almost abstract feel to this one. Say what you will about Harry Bennet—he had a Style.
  • Dude in foreground is ominous. Nice isolation of the billy club. Guy reminds me of any number of corrupt Jim Thompson sheriffs (a redundant phrase, I realize).
  • This is another of my Powell's purchases. Paid too much for this one. Don't care. Must. Have. All. Parkers.

PB50149bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • It think my main objection to this era of Pocket Books is the ghastly base color of the spine (and, here, back cover). Pure puke.
  • That "art" is useless.
  • "Tiftus" is a fantastic name.
  • "...the eyes of a pickpocket and the mouth of a whore." Dang. Vivid.

Page 123~ (actually p. 23, as p. 123 disappears between chapters)

Damn Tiftus! He kept talking all the time, talking as though he knew exactly what he was talking about, but he never said anything. Jabber jabber jabber, and nothing coming out.

Stark does great third-person subjective. Man, I gotta get back into this series. I took a break to read Gaiman and Questlove, and Aslan's Jesus bio comes out Tuesday ... stop writing for a second, people! I need to catch up.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

4 comments:

Tulse said...

"corrupt Jim Thompson sheriffs (which is an oxymoron)”

"Redundant" rather than "oxymoron", no?

Rex Parker said...

Yes. Of course. Fixed.

Please send corrections to me privately. My email's in the sidebar.

Thanks,
RP

atomicbird said...

Reminds me a bit of Ezra Jack Keats.

Dick Swart said...

Rex,

This interesting article on covers and the selection process ...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/07/the-decline-and-fall-of-the-book-cover.html?mbid=nl_Daily%20(287)

Super omnia vendit!

Dick, trolling from the xword.