Author: Catherine Gaskin
Cover artist: Uncredited [Renato Fratini]
Yours for: Not For Sale (gift to the collection from Laurie Gagne)
Best things about this cover:
- The drugs they gave her for her root canal were really, really good.
- Are you there God, it's me, sexy drugged-out plantation lady.
- If you can figure out what the hell is happening in the background with the people and the running and what not, you have better eyes and interpretive skills than I do.
Best things about this back cover:
- This novel should've been called "Dangerous Currents." That, or "Plantation Fantasies To Masturbate By."
- It's pretty impressive how this description manages to make "emancipation" seem like a species of orgasm.
- Woman's Journal—the journal read by just one woman.
"Before he was ill—before Maria and that rotten weed she gave him to smoke—that, and the rum—he was a clever manager."
Plantation romances are not really my cup of tea, but I am suddenly interested in Maria and her rotten weed.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]