Title: The French Key
Author: Frank Gruber
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $6
Best things about this cover:
- The Detective Had A Coin Torso! You'll Flip (!) For This Mystery!
- I believe this font is called "hyper-serif."
- See, here's the thing. There's really only one thing to say about this cover—more girl, less Captain Coin-Body.
- Frank Gruber was a prolific writer for pulp and paperback market. This book was originally published in 1939.
Best things about this back cover:
- Bah, the '60s continue to suck at all things book design.
- To its credit, this cover does have NUMISMATISTS!!!
- What will Johnny do with the blonde who says "I never tell the truth"? Careful, Johnny! It's a paradox!
Johnny dropped a coin on the counter and picked up a section of newspaper. He rolled the section of lead in the paper, gripped it at one end and smacked the other end into his palm.
The plumber grinned. "Oh, it's like that, huh?"
Dang. You do not want to disappoint Johnny with shoddy workmanship.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]