Title: Tarzan of the Apes
Author: Edgar Rice Burroughs
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- Ron Ely ponders the bright vista of his career.
- Ron Ely feels very good about Ron Ely's tree-climbing abilities. Ron Ely starting to believe this Tarzan thing may work out after all. Ron Ely is going to rub it in mom's face first chance he gets.
- Seriously, something is not right up in Ron Ely's brain.
- If this is Ron Ely's most Tarzanesque pose ... I mean, to whom are they selling this book? You could retitle this "Summer in the Woods" or "My First Time" or "Beefcake Palace" and you wouldn't have to change the picture one bit.
- Ron Ely is quite satisfied with Ron Ely's body. Ron Ely's workouts really paid off.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Uncut"—Yes, that could also be the title of a book with this cover.
- "Color television show"!? Wow. I think they prefer to be called "television shows of color." The '60s were so racist.
"Look at dem low down white trash out dere!" she shrilled, pointing toward the Arrow. "They-all's a desecratin' us, right yere on dis yere perverted islan'."
I think "Tarzan" actually came on right before "Dis Yere Perverted Islan'" ("... with Gilligan ... the Skipper too ...")
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]