Title: The Time Tunnel
Author: Murray Leinster
Cover artist: Jack Gaughan
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- Y'know ... it's pretty standard TV tie-in fair. Network logo. TV title font. A tunnel (presumably of the "time" variety).
- I actually love the tunnel. Diminishing people descending into diminishing non-concentric circles. Simple and cool.
- Wikipedia tells me that Murray Leinster wrote a novel with this title in 1964, the plot of which was quite different. He then wrote this novelization of the TV series three years later, and then a later, final "Time Tunnel" novel called Timeslip: Time Tunnel Adventure #2. There were also two "Time Tunnel" Gold Key comics put out in '66-'67.
- Complete TV series is on Hulu Plus. I'm gonna check it out.
Best things about this back cover:
- Whoa, the "real" tunnel is an op-art nightmare.
- The Scientist Wore Shapeless Chinos (That Made His Ass Look Fat and Flat).
- Who could forget James Darren and Robert Colbert!? (A: everyone)
- "And it's produced by Irwin Allen, so you know it's top-of-the-line TV fare."—something someone somewhere must've thought at some time.
"I'm talking about the time traveller Kirk's assembled," said Doug urgently. "In the Tunnel chamber!" He said apprehensively: "We may be stuck here for always! Tony! The whole Project may turn out a failure!"
As terse, momentous sentences go, "Tony roused" is up there with "Jesus wept."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]