Title: Requiem for a Rake
Author: Will Laurence
Cover artist: Photo cover
Yours for: $17
Best things about this cover:
- The scintillating sequel to Lament for a Leaf Blower
- Whatever she is bringing to this cover (and she is bringing a lot), he is taking away three-fold.
- If you're gonna despoil a stage-struck starlet, there's gotta be a better way than upside-down, fully-clothed footsie.
- Is that camera rolling, 'cause ... if so, two words: niche market.
Best things about this back cover:
- Clan Coulter. There's your Halloween costume for 2013.
- Do they mean "stage" as in TV stage or western stage (i.e. stagecoach)? 'Cause I kind of like the image of Clan riding his bed across the prairie.
- "Les" is one of those names that is never gonna look right in the possessive form.
Janice Littleton was a girl who would do practically anything for money, a fact she had amply demonstrated to Mari during the months the two women had worked together . Her credo was to smile, not act too smart, try to make herself liked, and always look out for Number One. Her scruples were as limp as last year's girdle.You're not using the word "credo" correctly here, but that last sentence makes me inclined to forgive you.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]