Title: Dead Giveaway
Author: Hugh Lawrence Nelson
Cover artist: Robert Stanley
Yours for: $13
Best things about this cover:
- Legato-erotic asphyxiation.
- "There was no stool!"
- I love the thick, sweaty, unshaven humanity of Bob Stanley's painting.
- I also entertained "auto-melodic asphyxiation." But I stand by my first choice.
Best things about this back cover:
- When Cartography Goes Bad. A confused and ugly mapback. Too many keys and insets and overlays. San Francisco has never looked more dull.
- If that is the "zany troupe of entertainers" there in the inset, then we have very different ideas about what "zany" means.
- There's someone named "Deasy" in this book? And it's not called "Deasy Does It." The titling folks are slacking.
"And Mr. Gates passing out and going—"
"Thump!" They shouted it in unison.
They beamed with pleasure.
I'm guessing "they" are the "zany troupe of entertainers." And I'm also guessing Abbott shoots them within the next couple pages.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]