Friday, September 28, 2012

Paperback 567: The Whipping Boy / S.E. Pfoutz (Popular Library 821)

Paperback 567: Popular Library 821 (1st ptg, 1957)

Title: The Whipping Boy
Author: S.E. Pfoutz
Cover artist: that guy that did a lot of Popular Library covers in the '50s ... always wore a shirt ...

Yours for: $9

Pop821.Whipping
Best things about this cover:

  • The tragic stair-falling scene from Mickey Spillane's final novel: "Mike Hammer: The Big Knee Replacement"
  • Meanwhile, in the background: "I'd like to cross your color line, baby." "I ... don't know what that means. Please leave." "Oh, alright. Hey, do you think I'm OK to drive? Here, smell my breath, haaaaaaaaaaaah..."
  • I feel like the author's name is some kind of code I'm supposed to break.
  • This is the most unracial racial cover ever. "Did we say 'color line'? We meant big, bold primary colors—the blue THE, the red WHIPPING ... it's about a boy who likes to make whipped cream. Why do you have to make everything about race?"


Pop821bc.Whipping
Best things about this back cover:

  • "I ... I can't decide. Do I stay with midget Vulcan or run off with black Jerry Seinfeld?"
  • "A talented young Negro," HA ha. "Wow, you are really good at being Negro."
  • Why would you go with "piercingly honest" when "frank" is so much more concise? "Frank" novels should just call themselves "frank" and quit hiding behind these flowery euphemisms. This message brought to you by Proud Frank Americans for Frankness. Thank you.

Page 123~

"Don't get funny with me, lover boy," said the creature, leering. "I know your kind from way back."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

Random White Guy said...

Call me crazy (because I am) but the guy totally not concealed behind the banister makes me think of Ralf Moller, with two little dots above the o that I can't make.

D.A. Trappert said...

The zombie in front looks sort of like Mitt Romney if someone spiked his milk with LSD.