Sunday, September 9, 2012

Paperback 558: The Sixpenny Dame / Eaton K. Goldthwaite (Pennant Books P49)

Paperback 558: Pennant Books P49 (1st ptg, 1954)

Title: The Sixpenny Dame
Author: Eaton K. Goldthwaite
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $11

PennP49.Sixpenny
Best things about this cover:
  • Larry: "Hmm. She's OK, I guess. I'll give you fine pennies." Steve: "How dare you! En garde!"
  • On the rocky shores of Mustard Cove, they settled their score like men—with a dance-off!
  • Sheila: "Would you two hurry it up already? I wanna go home. My neck's sore and I think I ate too many crabcakes."
  • Once again—love the dress. Not sure about the bangs, but love the dress.

PennP49bc.Sixpenny

Best things about this back cover:
  • "Hey, boss, I got this design idea. Now, close your eyes and imagine ... instead of regular old bullet points: red squares! ... yeah, I know it clashes with the purple border ... but I just thought, you know, it's a novel about conflict, so ... yes, sir. Yes, sir. Sorry, sir."
  • Bullet 3: See Bullet 1
  • There's cryptic-good and cryptic-bad. Then there's this useless, befuddling mess of nothingness.

Page 123~
This put my Sixpenny dame in a new and uncomfortable light, for it showed she had employed psychopathic protection of a high order. 
I like how he talks about her like she's a seventh-level Wizard in "Dungeons & Dragons."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

DemetriosX said...

Apparently, the guy in his shirt sleeves dodged the punch from the guy in the jacket. Unfortunately, he leaned so far back, he's going to fall off a cliff. That's the only way I can interpret this fight scene. If jacket guy had connected, shirt guy would be moving in the same direction as the punch. I will give jacket guy credit for full-body follow-through, but it's left him in a weird, dare I say effete, position.

Peter said...

Violence, passion, murder? Sounds like marriage to me.

Graham Powell said...

"A tough story of love and organized crime" - aren't they all?