Monday, August 20, 2012

Paperback 550: Yesterday I Died! / John Cooper (World Distributors Nn, 1951?))

Paperback 550: World Distributors Novel (no #) (PBO? 1951?)

Title: Yesterday I Died!
Author: John Cooper
Cover artist: Sure, why not...

Yours for: I have no idea ...

WorldDistrNn.IDied

Best things about this cover:
  • Him: "Yesterday Day I Died!" Her: "So I smell!"
  • Gun v. Nipple face-off.
  • Has she got an 8 1/2 x 11 pad of paper in her pocket? 
  • Awkwardly positioned gunman wonders "Am I in frame now? How 'bout now?"

WorldDistrNnbc.IDied

Best things about this back cover:
  • One of three Awesome ads in this thing.
  • Charles Atlas promises you "fresh blood" if you join him and his vampiric children of the night.
  • "Joy-killing ailments" is a great phrase. 
Other ads!
WorldDistrNn.Ad1

  • The crossword constructor in me really wishes APAL had caught on.
  • How is that drawing of that dude supposed to relate to my quitting smoking. Frankly, it's creeping me out and making me want to light up.
  • Hey, "S.A.E." — more crosswordy goodness!


WorldDistrNn.Ad2

  • First, I thought it said "I am Bam-Bou!" and thought "awesome name for a guru." Then I thought it said "Make Money By Growing Babies" and thought "that's ... a new angle."
  • It's a well-know scientific fact that bamboo release spores in the form of pound coins.
  • The Orientalism here is epic—the sexy East will lay bare her secrets to the hungry eyes of the horny West!

Page 123~ (This Book Has No Page Numbers!?!?!)

So ... Random Page~
Lugs O'Malley said suddenly, "For Pete's sake, Champion ... do something. If you're gonna blow us all to hades with the bomb ... well hell, let's go. But don't forget, you go too."
First, give it up for 'Lugs O'Malley,' which belongs in the Corney Gangster Name Hall O' Fame. Second, who says (uncapitalized!?) "hades" in this context? Normally, I would say: the person who thinks "hell" is a curse word. But ... the next sentence ...

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

6 comments:

Toothless Oakie said...

I'm pretty sure I could quit smoking if I had a crystal-meth cigarette substitute. C'mon Rex, BE ____ and re-invigorate this brand.

Pat said...

Charles Atlas bears a weird resemblence to Mitt Romney!

admiral.ironbombs said...

At a glance I thought the last ad said "Make money by growing bimboes." Which was much more interesting.

D.A. Trappert said...

Wow. This is rare. I couldn't find a single copy for sale, although amazon.co.uk has a listing:

Publisher: World Distributors; 1st Edition edition (1951)

Deb said...

We planted a few bamboo plants about 20 years ago and they almost overtook our yard. I wish I'd known there was money in it!

Marla said...

I figure "other joy-killing ailments" has to be erectile dysfunction.