Title: The Last Cop Out
Author: Mickey Spillane
Cover artist: photo
Yours for: $10
- The logical end point of the lurid cover arms race: magnificent, unadorned, naked ass.
- I have never hated text more than I do at this moment.
- I seem to remember hearing that the model was Spillane's wife. Likely the same woman who did "The Erection Set" cover.
Best things about this back cover:
- Ugh. Next!
- "Super virile" and you named him "Gillian?" Would've been more "virile" if you'd named him "Gilligan."
- Knowing Spillane, "orgy of blistering destruction" may not be a metaphor.
- "Volcanic explosion," on the other hand—probably a metaphor.
"I was there when Lederer was blowing his top. I could hear him right across the hall. City Hall must have leaned on him because he's gotten all leaves canceled, got the detectives working overtime and eating the ass out of Bill Long because Burke's disappeared someplace and nobody can find him."
It's writing like that that makes me happy the 50s were a more censorious decade—"eating the ass out of" would never have passed muster in the Mike Hammer era, and I'm OK with that.
[Follow Rex Parker at Twitter and Tumblr]