Title: The Courting of Susie Brown
Author: Erskine Caldwell
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $5
- The Delousing of Susie Brown.
- Is this it? I have to believe that something far more salacious than this was painted over in thick purple. That would explain how Wrong her elbow looks.
- Also, how big is that chair seat? I see the chair, and it appears she is sitting on it, and yet those ... gowns? rags? ... she's sitting on don't appear to have anything to do with the chair. They're just ... hovering.
- Maybe the comb in a girl's lap is some kind of sexy visual shorthand I just don't get.
- The Human Comedy ... is a novel by William Saroyan. And a series of novels by Honoré de Balzac. Like those classics, this book ... is also fiction.
- Here is mirth and disaster. There be dragons.
Dessie gripped the phone.Dessie and Mrs. Murdock found that by substituting "roll of money" for "penis," they drew far fewer outraged stares.
"Did you say Waldo has a big roll of money?" she shouted. "Greenbacks tied with a string around the middle?"
"He surely has, Mrs. Murdock. It's the biggest roll of money I've seen on a man since the Democrats took over."
Dessie, who had risen from the chair until she was almost erect, sat down, hard.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]