Title: The Farmers Hotel
Author: John O'Hara
Cover artist: [James Avati]
Yours for: $10
- I love this cover. Specifically, I love the use of text—generously sized and spaced, in gorgeous contrasting white (like the snow it's describing), in a 1/2-cover sized block that abruptly Stops and leaves the lower half quiet as 3am.
- James Avati is best known for doing Every Damn Cover for Signet for several years, but this is up there with my favorite work of his. I clearly need a "Sexy Staircase" or "Woman Ascending a Staircase" or "Staircase Puts Woman's Ass at Man's Eye-Level" tag. This is not the first.
- I love how the painting is so still (very Avati), and yet there is subtle motion in both him (rounding the corner) and her (slowly ascending, with a slight but meaningful over-the-shoulder glance).
- The dress is the thing. Magenta pops against the monochromatic brown background, as well as against the creamy V of her upper back. So, to sum up, Love.
Best things about this back cover:
- Less love, though this does make me want to read the book.
- This is the second version of this book that I've featured on this blog.
- "Jerry Mayo and the Pickwick Sisters" would be a Great band name.
Page 23~ (book is only 119pp. long)
The quiet of the room was almost total, but not peaceful.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]