Saturday, April 21, 2012

Paperback 519: Liza of Lambeth / W. Somerset Maugham (Avon 139)

Paperback 519: Avon 139 (1st ptg, 1947)

Title: Liza of Lambeth
Author: W. Somerset Maugham
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $7

Avon139.Liza
Best things about this cover:

  • Liza of Lamboobs!
  • Vincent Van Gogh positions himself for optimal boob viewing. "Sunflowers, Shmunflowers. I'm painting these!"
  • Vincent Van Gogh, Incompetent Vampire!
  • I remember these swirly popsicle thingies that mom used to buy. I associate them with that one time I was so sick (1981) that I couldn't keep much down. Anyway, popsicle color + memory of barfing = where the background of this painting takes my brain.



Avon139bc.Liza
Best things about this back cover:

  • Shakespeare-Head!
  • We've seen all this before.

Page 123~
"I never 'ad any money from anyone."
"Don't talk ter me; I know yer did. Yer dirty bitch. You oughter be ashimed of yerself tikin' a married man from 'is family, an' 'im old enough ter be yer father."
This whole scene is like a Cockney Jerry Springer episode.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

Deb said...

First Hammett, then Maugham. Rex, you must be going through the "literary" part of your collection. Excellent reading, no doubt, but not quite the cover art of RESTLESS WOMEN, et. al.

Doug Brunell said...

I sense the bottom has been reached?

Pete said...

"Don't talk ter me; I know yer did. Yer dirty bitch. You oughter be ashimed of yerself tikin' a married man from 'is family, an' 'im old enough ter be yer father."

You always can tell when someone's faking a cockney accent. They frequently revert to the Queen's English at the beginning a sentence.