Title: Tender Torment
Author: Randy Salem
Cover artist: Paul Rader
Yours for: $50
Best things about this cover:
- "Next time on 'The Bachelor': The Most Dramatic Rose Ceremony Ever!"
- This is a shocking cover—usually with lesbian sex paperbacks the sex angle is played way up, along with the pathology angle. Bodies on display, lust in the air (see here, for instance). But here, aside from a nice wide chunk of ass in the foreground, it's all horror show. Looks like the movie poster for a late-70s slasher flick.
- That tagline really gets to the point. Succinct. No-frills. You know where you stand with this tagline.
- You gotta love a sleaze paperback pen name like "Randy Salem." If you anagram his last name, you describe his ideal audience: Randy Males.
Best things about this back cover:
- "A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR!"—awesome ominous warning. "No one will be seated during the harrowing Rose Scene!" "Bring your own vomit bag!"
- The best phrase on the whole back cover is "We are proud..."
He looked like any other swish in too tight pants and a checkered shirt open at the throat.Damn swishes, ruining the checkered shirt for the rest of us regular blokes. I want my checkered shirt back, swishes! And my rainbow flag, too!
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]