Title: The Golden Sorrow
Author: Theodore Pratt
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- After the Golden Shower comes ... The Golden Sorrow—you can really feel her shame
- His sidelong glance is awesome
- "Uh, everything's cool, right honey? ... Look, I know you think pinky rings are tacky, but you don't have to be so histrionic about it."
- Are those cufflinks or rotten Nilla Wafers?
Best things about this back cover:
- Is this paperback cover copy or a sad tenth-grader's unpublished poetry?
"You're a heel, Danny, a stinking heel on the make. You're only for Danny Rattigan." Her eyes flashed. "You are not worthy of the theatre. Oh, yes, you'll probably be a big success in Hollywood—if you can stand looking at yourself in the mirror. Now get out of here—get out!" [end of chapter]
If you write a phrase like "stinking heel on the make," I submit that you have overestimated your facility with idiomatic expressions. On the other hand, "You are not worthy of the theatre!" is T-shirt worthy.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]