Title: The Case of the Constant Suicides
Author: John Dickson Carr
Cover artist: Robert Maguire
Yours for: $11
Best things about this cover:
- Well, Dr. Gideon Fell, alright. Fell to his death!
- Nobody painted Paperback Women better than Robert Maguire. Nobody. Nobody. I mean, this is some of his least interesting work, and it's still awesome. He also has the greatest paperback cover artist signature. Regular as hell. You could set your watch by that thing.
- This is the story of one woman's painful obsession with the phallic tower that would not love her. Or her painful battle with head lice. Or her painful attempt to follow a rudimentary yoga DVD.
Best things about this back cover:
- How 'bout people just stop staying there. Looks like a shit place to sleep, anyway. Case closed! You're welcome.
- Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of an Agatha Christie novel right now. It's telling that she doesn't praise his writing, but his ability to baffle. I've heard 4-year-olds tell completely baffling stories.
"Angus might well consider himself, in the hard-headed Northern fashion, a useless encumbrance."
Poor Angus is "stony broke," "overwhelved (sic!) with debts," and has an ex-mistress named Elspat. She used to tease him about his "useless encumbrance." Hence *ex* mistress.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]