Title: The Gay Detective
Author: Lou Rand
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $100
Best things about this cover:
- Not sure how legible the cover copy is, so I'll transcribe: "Francis and Tiger [!!!!!!!!!!!! ... ?] had found out what they needed to know. The trick now was to get the nude Vivien out of the bathhouse [!] and to safety."
- Of all Vivien's failed attempts to get a man, this one was perhaps the most spectacular.
- The bathhouse employed the most strapping and vigilant head lice police the world had ever known.
- Come on, even the queerest of the queer aren't going to be able to stomach that much pink.
Best things about this back cover:
- Have we seen Saber get biblical before!? This is perhaps my favorite of Sanford Aday's responses to the legal harassment his business was suffering in the late-50s / early 60s.
The man is—we heard many times—a muscular masochist and confines his pleasures to young and attractive men.
"We heard many times" — that's what happens when you keep asking witnesses to "tell us the one about the muscular masochist again!"
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]