Author: Carter Brown
Cover artist: Robert McGinnis
Reader P. Morrison sent me a stack of books. They are beat up and cheesy, just like I like 'em. First up ... this.
Best things about this cover:
- Evocative painting. Who knew that extras in a "Conan" movie experienced such depths of ennui?
- Is that lady a. calming her pet Pekingese, who lives in her hair; b. physically supporting her 50 lbs of hair because he neck has simply given out; or c. shaking her head in disbelief at the idea that Carter Brown has sold over 25 million books?
- I thought "A Good Year for Dwarfs" was the tagline at first, and had no idea what that could possibly mean. Then I realized that was the title. Puzzlement remained.
- If my students ever used a hyphen that way, there's no way they'd be getting better than a C.
Best things about this back cover:
- Rimmel and Holman? As porn names go ... subtle.
- I want business cards that read simply "Davis Davis, Movie Dwarf"
- "Twilight world" normally (in paperbackese) means "homosexual." I'm doubtful that that is the case here.
Any moment now, I thought frantically, I'm about to make whimpering noises out loud! "Do you play Scrabble?" I gurgled.
Man, it gets Freaky on an early '70s porn set.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]