Author: Vern Wade
Cover artist: Uncredited
Best things about this cover:
- These people look like video game avatars, or character in "Polar Express." They are going to have creepy, sweat-less, human-like sex on that sad pristine bed in 3, 2 ...
- Heflin (really?) had not quite mastered the whole vampire thing. You can't nuzzle the blood out of her, Hef!
- Now that I look at her more closely, I'm pretty sure she's inflatable and Hef is blowing her up.
- In my mind, Madame Fronzeh rides a motorcycle, wears a leather jacket, says "Ehhhhhh!," and people call her "The Fronz."
- More sadness from the Sanford Aday publishing houses (see also here). I've never, ever seen a publisher foreground their own economic / legal woes so aggressively. The fact that they're publishing under fire becomes part of their identity in those early years (you know, before the 25-year prison sentence ...).
Her hazel eyes widened. Her lips curved in an ironic smile as she rose, and moved toward me. She extended her hand to me, and her body undulated provocatively in a gesture that was confusingly familiar.
He's confused because he's repressed the memory of his mother's own ironic smiling and provocative undulation as she fixed him scrambled eggs as a child.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]