Title: Twilight Men
Author: Andrew Tellier
Cover artist: Stella Lincoln
Yours for: $16
Best things about this cover:
- "... and ladies and gentlemen, your host ... Gene Rayburn!"
- This cover answers the question: "Is there a game show called 'Gay Mystery Date' in heaven?"
- Kind of odd to have "The Story of a Homosexual" feature a cover with a man emerging from what looks like an ermine-fringed vagina. Or the exploding face of Abe Lincoln.
- Wait, this tagline feels familiar: "The Story of a Homosexual." Hang on ... yes. Here we go. Interesting. So this is Lion Books 24. Double that number, and you get Lion Books 48, which has *this* tagline:
Just add "SPY"!
And the back cover:
Best things about this back cover:
- "More Than One Man In Every Five" — now *that* sounds like a party!
- "... have tasted of the forbidden fruits of homosexuality"; "forbidden fruits" = gay euphemism for "balls."
- Kinsey! No "frank," but a near-frank in "unadorned." That's pretty close.
- "We ask that you examine your conscience ... oh, man, it's fucking scary and dark in there. Stop. We take it back. Get out! Shut the door!"
Slips of rejection filled up the pigeon-holes of his desk and overflowed into the drawers.
Whoa. I'm not up on mid-century homosexual slang, but that sounds like some hot gay action.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]