Title: Queer Patterns
Author: Kay Addams
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $60
Best things about this cover:
- What's amazing about this cover is how unsleazy it is. The colors and lines are all incredibly soft, and while the picture suggests imminent sex ... I don't know, something about this scene seems sort of sweet (thus at odds with the "Perversity" allegation).
- "Queer Patterns" is an oddly unhot title. Like it's a novel about avant-garde knitting.
- This is one of my Desert Island Books ... or maybe Burning House Books, i.e. if I had to save 10 books from certain destruction, this would be one of them. It's from the dead center of my collection, time-wise (1959), it's in fantastic condition, it's a near-perfect specimen of the "lesbian fiction" pulp genre, and, well, those are nice boobs.
Best things about this back cover:
- That is one of my favorite opening lines of cover copy ever.
- "Reckless paroxysms of desire" — why couldn't this copywriter do *every* back cover?
- "Consoling cozenings"! Wow, that should win some kind of Ambitious Alliteration award.
"This is insanity," I said one night.
"Love is insanity." She lifted her head from where it had been. "Let me show you just how insane."
[Follow Rex Parker on Tumblr & Twitter]