Title: K.O. Technique
Author: Peter Randa
Cover artist: [Michel Gourdon]
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- "My K.O. Technique, c'est Magnifique!"
- Took me a while to realize "technique" here was "technical," as in "TKO"
- Randa was an exceedingly prolific French crime and sci-fi writer of the mid-20th century. There is apparently an illustrated edition of this book out there ... somewhere.
- Despite its lack of boobs and guns, I kinda like this cover. Unusually soft tones. Old-timey boxing glove and old-timey money. It's pretty, dark, and retro all at the same time.
- "Fleuve Noir" = "black river"
Best things about this back cover:
- I can't believe that by the mid-60s, the French weren't better at back-cover come-ons than this. It's so ... polite. And formal. Why In The World Should I Read "Pascaline," Frenchy? What's it about!? Try harder!
Je comprends maintenant pourquoi on a tiré sur toi.
[Now I understand why they shot at you.]
"I mean, I've only known you two minutes and I already want to strangle you a little."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]