Title: Drawn to Evil / The Scarlet Spade
Author: Harry Whittington / Eaton K. Goldthwaite
Cover artist: Norman Saunders / Norman Saunders??? (Uncredited)
Yours for: $65
Best things about this cover:
- "Hey, tiger, whaddya think of this cami-" "Aw, shut yer yap, you loony dame!"
- Hazel was afraid to tell Bill that his Vulcan salute still needed a lot of practice.
- "Hey, babe, I just found a buyer for this stolen VHS tape I've got in my coat pocket! Gimme a high five! ... Up top? ... Aw, c'mon, don't leave me hangin', babe!"
- "I will karate chop your ass, so help me God, woman!"
- Norman Saunders was a cover painter in the great days of pulp fiction. His flair for the sensational and overdramatic is strongly in evidence here.
Best things about this back cover:
- In my head, she is making the worst, whiniest, most horrible noise in her throat.
- "Can someone please inflate the blow-up doll the rest of the way! Tom's gonna be here any second ..."
- Are those gigantic ice cubes in the background?
- "Nope, the spade's still black, sweetheart. Try again."
Denver Calhoun's eyes smoldered in his broad, white face as he watched the full progress of O'Moriarty's exit.
So, some fat-faced white guy named Denver has the hots for some super-Irish guy. So what's new?
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]