Includes stories by: Fritz Leiber, Richard Matheson, Lewis Carroll, L. Sprague de Camp, Jane Roberts, Anthony Boucher, Poul Anderson, H.P. Lovecraft, etc.
Cover artist: Ed Emshwiller
Yours for: $20
Best things about this cover:
- ... featuring the controversial story, "Anorexic Chicken Whores of The Mogron Valley!"
- Monster designs on this are Fabulous. Emshwiller is a cover art hero.
- Trying to understand, from an evolutionary standpoint, why the bird (background) should require an oxygen helmet while everyone else apparently easily breathes the miasma of peach atmosphere. Also wondering why giant deformed Gumby monster should have to brush his teeth.
Best things about this back cover:
- People were apparently Really excited about satellites in the late '50s.
- We're not really comfortable using slang, so ... we'll just put "top-drawer" in quotations, so you won't think you're actually supposed to store the books in the top drawer of your dresser.
- "Handsome, permanent bindings," to prevent annoying fall-apart.
Page 123~ (from "Full Pack (Hokas Wild)" by Poul Anderson & Gordon R. Dickson)
He was not a bad felino-centauroid at heart.
Can't believe that line is buried at the back of a F&SF Magazine. Should be the first line of some epic space opera.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]