Title: The Cask
Author: Freeman Willis Crofts
Cover artist: Uncredited (jonas?)
Yours for: $7
Best things about this cover:
- It's a mystery. A mystery about ... a cask, I'm guessing. Hey, they can't all be Strip-Tease Girl.
- I like how there's a picture of a cask on the cover. In case I'd forgotten the title. I also like the wee mustachioed man.
- I do like the color scheme. And the soft tones and surreal shapes of the buildings and street.
Best things about this back cover:
- Freeman Willis [zzzzzzzzzz....]. This is *literally* more than you'd ever want to know about Freeman Willis Crofts.
- This is from when paperbacks were still trying to be highbrow and were taking themselves way too seriously. In just a few years things would get sexed up and pulped up and generally get interesting.
"It is with the utmost regret I have to tell you, M. Boirac, that your wife was undoubtedly murdered by strangulation. Further, you must know that she had been dead several days when that photograph was taken."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]