Friday, September 24, 2010

Paperback 354: Coming Out Party / Kimberly Kemp (Midwood 32-448)

Paperback 354: Midwood 32-448 (PBO, 1965)

Title: Coming Out Party
Author: Kimberly Kemp
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $25

Mid32448.OutParty

Best things about this cover:

  • "Don't mind me, I'm just taking a bubble bath in the sink..."
  • Man, Charlotte Rae was *hot* in her youth.
  • Soap bubbles look more like shaving cream.
  • If nothing else, her right nipple will be very clean.
  • Girl in doorway is striking a very unsexy "sexy" pose.
  • Did "coming out" have the same meaning for gay people then as it does now?


Mid32448bc.OutParty

Best things about this back cover:

  • Front cover calls her a "houseguest," but this blurb makes her sound more like a sex slave.
  • You can't just go out there and start sinning. You have to train. With a master.
  • Oh, "Greenwich Village!" Well, you know what that means ...
  • "Cute but topless???" I think you mean "and."

Page 123~

"I'm not a good actress, but I'm a real sexpot in front of an audience. Or in front of a camera. I found out that it does something to me. I get all excited. And I'm pretty sure that it registers on film. Isn't that important?"

And of course he then makes her prove it. Cinema!

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]

3 comments:

bliss_infinte said...

This was the first midwood book my wife and I read. It was a blast! It's got a bit of your vintage sleaze but it turns out be quite a good story. I love those Midwood books and the ones with Paul Radar's covers are amazing!

Michael5000 said...

It's a myth that you can only become a sinner by training with a master in an apprenticeship program. It is often more convenient to take a two-year certification in Sin at your local community college, or, in some states, to enter a training program offered through the Sinner's Union.

al boraq said...

"Soap bubbles look more like shaving cream."

The title Coming Out Party may actually be a hint as to what the "soap bubbles" really are, i.e., we're witnessing the aftermath of a bukkake party with her kneeling in a pool of 'champagne' foam after a load o' blokes've been giving their jeroboams a jolly good shaking.