Friday, August 20, 2010

Paperback 343: The Mesh / Lucie Marchal (Bantam A1923)

Paperback 323: Bantam A1923 (1st new Bantam ptg, 1959)

Title: The Mesh
Author: Lucie Marchal
Cover artist: photo

Yours for: Not for sale (one of three 'new' books I got from Doug Peterson this past weekend)

Bant1923.Mesh

Best things about this cover:

  • "Strange," "hidden," "forbidden" ... there's a reason it won the "LES Lettres Françaises" prize!
  • Love the title font. Ambivalent about the colors. Also, why aren't these telegenic French lesbians wearing mesh? I was promised the mesh, I want to see the mesh.

Bant1923bc.Mesh

Best things about this back cover:

  • "Inbred!?"—jeez, nice metaphor.
  • There's nothing lesbians like more than a good "psychological probing." Oh, and "Balzac."

Page 123~

As long as I live I shall never forget the sight I beheld when I opened the bathroom door, a sight which even today I do not know whether to call obscene or pathetic, but which I know was the start of the subsequent profound change in my whole outlook and my life.

The "sight" involves a topless woman washing a dog. Dum dum DUM!

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Who names their kid "Virgilia"?

I'm not sure why Foreground Lesbian is sinking into introspecitve contemplatiion, when Background Lesbian appears to be in the throes of boob-grabbing passion. Probably too much Balzacian influence going on.

al boraq said...

'There's nothing lesbians like more than a good "psychological probing." Oh, and "Balzac."'

I always thought lesbians weren't into ballsack.