Title: A Room on the Route
Author: Godfrey Blunden
Cover artist: Uncredited [Schaare???]
Yours for: $17
Best thing about this cover:
- Soviet singing sensation "Drago" was in constant danger of being mauled by his overzealous, sex-crazed fanbase of lonely Nanas. Here, security moves in quickly to save him.
- This book was apparently published in that narrow window of time when "Soviet" had not yet found a "Union" to modify.
- This guy's like a Soviet Jesus. Look at his beatific face, the halo of light around his head, the way he's being mistreated, the way he appears to be looking plaintively at us, admonishing us to give up our sinful ways... you've got Mary there in foreground, Mary Magdalen in background, Roman centurions coming to take him away ...
Best things about this back cover:
- N.K.V.D. — secret police organization that preceded K.G.B.; not, as I'd originally hoped, the shortened name of 90's boy band New Kids with Venereal Diseases.
- Every book should come with "mounting action."
The men in the factory felt they had made a victory.
The men in the factory then headed to their ESL class to learn more about how to make a sentence that sounds right in English.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]