Thursday, December 17, 2009

57 Books from the University Book Sale: Book 28


First, an announcement. The winner of "The Secret of Sylvia" (as determined by random.org) is ... MARLA! Send me your address and I'll get the book out to you ASAP.

Now, onto a new book!

Title: Pastoral (Ballantine X757, 1963)
Author: Nevil Shute
Cover artist: uncredited

Yours for: $5 (free if your hair is shaped like a massive sideways comma)


  • "I promise — I will return with the cure for Wedge Head. And then ... I Will Find You!"
  • I got nothing else. Her hair is the only reason I noticed this book at all.
  • "Urgent, tender and strong" is making me giggle a little



  • Happy 110th birthday, Nevil Shute!

Page 123~

The Dane smiled ruefully.

Honestly, one of my favorite "Page 123" quotes in a long time

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]

7 comments:

Deb said...

If there's one thing guaranteed to make me want to read a book, it's the promise that it's set against the background of an R.A.F. bomber station!

Jackie said...

I like the way the blurb makes it sound as though there's a causal connection between the great descriptions of air fighting and the high quality of the love story.

Brian Busby said...

I'm with Jackie. The Philadelphia Inquirer seems to imply that an average love story can be made great through some really good aerial battle descriptions.

Ms Avery said...

Why is everything mustard-coloured?

Kirk said...

Ms Avery: The colour results from the RAF Station location: camouflaged under an exact replica of the Colman's factory in the outskirts of Norwich in Norfolk.

JRSM said...

Weirdly, I just read this (in a dull, all-maroon POD edition) last week. Not bad, in a gentle build-up, big action finale sort of way.

cwogle said...

"for many thousands of readers, will always be Nevil Shute's finest novel."

Yes, the many thousands who have read this book but never got around to reading that "On the Beach" piece of trash.