Author: Gene Grove
Cover artist: photo
Yours for: $7
- Because nothing says "Happy New Year" like the John Birch Society
- Can you be shrouded in non-secrecy? Shrouded in fame? Redundant, I say, to thee, Mr. Grove.
- Look out! Commie! ... sorry, false alarm. This Welch guy's just got me all spooked.
- I'm kind of with him on the republic vs. democracy thing.
- That part about Eisenhower is the real departure-from-planet-earth moment for the Birchers (hmm, similarity to "Birthers" — Coincidence? Or Conspiracy!? ... since "Birchers" isn't a word anyone uses, I'll say "Coincidence").
- Someone sent me a "news" article about the dangers of the H1N1 vaccine, only ... it was from the John Birch Society's website. Said person was mortally and rightly embarrassed when I pointed this out.
In charging during a 1961 speaking tour that some 7,000 Protestant clergymen are Communists or "Comsymps," Welch was parroting the charges of one of his closest associates, J.B. Matthews.
"Comsymps"! Why didn't that catch on? Let's bring it back for '010! Happy New Year, Comsymps!
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]