Title: If the Coffin Fits
Author: Day Keene
Cover artist: uncredited
Yours for: $50
Best things about this cover:
- One of the greatest hypo covers of all time (yes, "hypo covers" is a thing — very collectible)
- And the award for "Most Realistic Depiction of Hand Hair" goes to ...
- God that spike is glorious. I almost want to start doing heroin just to experience the feel of something so elegantly designed.
- Joe Shirtless does Not want to shoot up, but stone-faced blond guy can't wait. He has that barely-contained psycho-sadistic look about him. I think it's the posture, plus the intent stare: [Trembling ever-so-slightly] "This is going to be @#$#ing awesome!" Maybe he's a hypo connoisseur. Or just likes handling terrified man flesh.
Best things about this back cover:
- Ugh, small type. Less is More!
- This book should be called "Badger Game" — I'd read it just to figure out what the hell that phrase meant.
- Why is "Jail Bait" capitalized and italicized? Is it a novel? (actually, it is, and I own it, but I don't think the book is what's meant here).
- "Mr. Big" — Ouch. One million points off for lack of originality.
I said that was a lot of heifer dust. He was inclined to argue.
I believe "heifer dust" = "bullshit," but it would be a great street name for some drug ... something way, way worse than "angel dust." "We cut the PCP with cow shit ... try it!"
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]