Author: Ben Ames Williams
Cover artist: uncredited
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- "Crucible," Or "The Andrews Sisters Go To Hell"
- Sadness! Fear! Uh ... Sultry Boredom!
Best things about this back cover:
- Ugh, text. And not even a break or indention to separate the paragraphs. So lazy.
- If those three on the cover are "Mary, Phil and Barbara" ... I might have to read this book. I need to know more about "Phil"
- I can only hope that Ben Ames Williams went on to write a novel called "Leave the Strange Woman to Heaven"
Q. You went into the office? A. I stood in the doorway and reached the switch.
Q. Did that light the hall? A. Yes, enough.
Q. Did you see anything? A. I saw a woman lying on the hall floor.
Q. And you did what? A. Turned on the hall light to look at her.
"If you love page after page of mundane interrogation transcripts, you will love ... Crucible! If you loved Arthur Miller's "The Crucible," on the other hand ... well, that's historically impossible. It won't be performed for the first time for another six years."