Title: Slab Happy
Author: Richard S. Prather
Cover artist: uncredited
Yours for: $11
Best things about this cover:
- Wow, this is a mess. The floating / severed head seems astonished to see the Men in Black Coroners at the heart of that blue nebula. Meanwhile, Shell Scott just looks ... is that a sneer? A grimace? A leer?
- Seriously, it's like a kindergartener designed this cover. A morbid kindergartener.
- I'm not sure the middle of an autopsy is a good time to go on about your sex/death fantasies, Shell.
Best things about this back cover:
- I admire Shell Scott's writing, but this cover copy is a can of corn.
- Again with the sex/death nexus. You're creepin' me out, Shell.
- My great uncle died in the great Shell Scott fever epidemic of 1957
- "Newest" and "Latest" being the newest and latest in "words"
"The character you call Mr. Worthington is known to crookdom as Viper. He is a hood, a punk, a parasite on the anatomy of society, biting deeply."
PS just found this Fantastic cartoon folded up and shoved inside this novel: