Title: The Curious Facts Preceding My Execution
Author: Donald Westlake
Cover artist: photo cover
Yours for: $22
Best things about this cover:
- "The Curious Crap I Found In My Closet"
- This is in contention for the single ugliest cover in my collection. Exhibit A: Mustard. Exhibit B: a mass of objects pulled in one lump from the bottom of some (crazy) lady's storage chest. Case closed.
- Somehow the wig makes the whole object lump much, much worse. Who thought this was artful!?
- And yet, while ugly, this is also a very memorable cover. Indelibility: The Up-Side of Ugly.
- That is a stubbed out cigar in the middle of the rubber mask's forehead. There's also a wig, a diamond necklace, three guns, and a blue thing (gum wrapper?)
Best things about this back cover:
From "Never Shake a Family Tree"
"Ah," he said. "Forgive my telephoning, please, Mrs. Buckley. We have never met, but I noticed your entry in the current issue of Genealogical Exchange -"