Friday, August 8, 2008

Paperback 125: Sad Cypress / Agatha Christie (White Circle n.n.)

Paperback 125: White Circle [no number] (1st ptg, undated, c. 1944)

Title: Sad Cypress
Author: Agatha Christie
Cover artist: Who Knows?

Yours for: $25

Best things about this cover:

  • It's like Art Deco meets Evil - "Help, I'm being attacked by the Chrysler Building!"
  • I like how "Sign of a good / detective novel" is so shabbily printed. Did they not have the technology to, say, center things in the 1940s?
  • White Circle books are really hard to get hold of in the States. They are Australian, I think. There seems to have been a White Circle publishing out of Canada too. Maybe it's a Commonwealth imprint. At any rate, this book was published in Sydney.
  • So basically this is a story about two ghosts who really hate trees ...

Best things about this back cover:

  • EVERYTHING - do you know how rare it is to get a full-page ad on the back cover? Very. I think I have one other book with such a cover - that cover has an ad for men's belts (!?). This one, however, has cartoonery and poetry and disease paranoia and I'm gonna say quackery. So so so awesome.
  • I can't decide if that officer is breaking up a fight or enforcing a quarantine.

Page 123:

Poirot waved a hand.
"There is nothing much to that! It might easily have been written by an educated person who chose to disguise the fact. That is why I wish you had the letter still. People who try to write in an uneducated manner usually give themselves away."



Anonymous said...

I'm surprised we're not seeing more advertising on the back covers -- after all, it's everywhere else, in the stadiums, stadium names, product placement in movies, etc.

However, the reality is the back cover ad is probably a relic from the old serial days, when novels were published by the chapter with lots of ads, many for similar products. RP would've loved it back then.

For example, I find the advertisements (some quite lengthy) in my facsimile edition of Nicklaus Nickleby to be quite fascinating.

Michael5000 said...

Peace, yo.