Title: The Case of the Cautious Coquette
Author: Erle Stanley Gardner
Cover artist: John Fernie
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- Georgia's audition for the "New Avengers" ended very, very badly.
- I'm no fashion expert, but I'm pretty sure a pink cape does not go with a strapless orange jumpsuit. Not that I don't admire her courage.
- a. trying to clear the frog from her throat
- b. doing the first part of a Sammy Sosa-style salute to her fans (peace sign to follow)
- c. wiping blood from her chin
- d. preparing to throw an elbow at the small man standing behind her whom we cannot see
- e. doing her post-murder celebration dance
Best things about this back cover:
- First paragraph = How to cop a feel, Perry Mason-style! "I'm looking for a gun!" Man, I gotta use that one.
- After so much exposure to it, I now feel that Erle Stanley Gardner's signature is trying to send me some kind of secret message...
- Check out the ad for another book - exploitation of the advertising potential of the back cover is a late development, and would be unwelcome if it didn't give me a great window on the literary context of the time. Plus ... miniature cheese/beefcake!
"But all this isn't going to do you any good," Drake said irritably. "You're simply crucifying yourself. Figure what the papers will do when they - why, hang it, Perry, it will put your neck right in a noose. Evidence of flight is evidence of guilt."